Wednesday 28 May 2014

My services are still available – Boko Haram negotiator


Nigerian born journalist, Ahmad Salkida , who is reported to have strong ties with the Boko Haram sect, has said that he is still readily available to render his services to bring an end to the insurgency in the country.

Reports have claimed that Salkida was close to the late Boko Haram founder, Mohammed Yusuf and other top antagonists of the Nigerian peace - but Ahmad fled to the United Arab Emirates on account of an alleged threat to his life over what he described as his “professional closeness” to the insurgents.

“My first-rate exclusive reports on the insurgency in northern Nigeria served by the Boko Haram militant group unsettled a section of the local authorities. This consequently led to threats to my life. I now live with my family and work part-time in the United Arab Emirates,” a post on his LinkedIn page read.  

However, writing on Twitter, the 40-year-old stated that there was nothing wrong in having an access to insurgents and he is still willing to make use of his “rare” working relationship with members of the sect to restore peace to northern Nigeria.

“There is nothing wrong in having professional access to insurgents as long as it is used to save lives and promote peaceful co-existence. I will forever be readily available to use my rare professional access and knowledge to end this madness and senseless violence in Nigeria.

“Speculations should not becloud the fact that there are many well-meaning patriots, including myself, that are working quietly day and night for peace. Nigeria is our country. We have no other country to call our own. So let’s get it right. I love Nigeria, I cherish its unity. I will do anything legitimately to make it better than it is, if I can,” he wrote on his Twitter feed.


Source: Punch Nig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air your view - and let others know how you rate this article.