Wednesday 13 August 2014

Miroslav Klose Announces International Retirement

Germany's all-time leading goalscorer, Miroslav Klose, 36, has announced his retirement from international football.

The Polish born German took his tally of World Cup goals to a record 16 - setting a record as the highest goal scorer in the history of the prestigious tournament - during the summer show in Brazil.

Having enjoyed 137 caps for his country and netted 71 goals, the 2014 World Cup winner has opted to call it a day.

'With the win in Brazil, a childhood dream came true, I am proud and happy that I was able to help this great success,' Klose told the German Football Association's official website.

'I had a unique and wonderful time and many memorable moments with the national team.'

The Lazio striker, though, hinted that he prefers to put the team ahead of his own achievements.

'The team's success was and is always the top priority for me,' he added.

'I've achieved our goal with the national team but I have achieved goals I set personally too. Anyone who knows me knows I am very ambitious.

Coach Joachim Low cannot speak highly enough of a striker who has featured in four consecutive World Cup, since making his debut in 2001.


'Miro Klose is an international star. He is one of the greatest strikers there have been,' Low said.

'His footballing qualities; his aerial ability, his goal threat, his understanding and his tireless commitment are second to none, and yet I have barely seen a player who is so much about modesty and team spirit.

'For Miro it was always an honour to play for the national team and he has given everything to Germany. He will be missed as a footballer and a person and I am happy and grateful I was able to work with him.'

Klose perfectly ended his international career and will remain a great in the history of German football.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air your view - and let others know how you rate this article.